Wednesday, June 4, 2014

Have You Lost Weight

Are you Weighing Yourself?


One of the Guidelines of the Whole30 AIP Challenge is NOT weight yourself.  Only twice, once at the beginning and once at the end.  If you are weighing yourself, you need to ask yourself a few questions.

     Why are you weighing?

     What will the number tell you that paying attention to body will not?

     How does the number make you feel?

     What is your history with weighing you body?

     Is there another way you could gage your success?

     What would happen if you didn’t weigh for 30 days?

     Do you think you have a healthy relationship with the scale?

Most of us have an un healthy relationship with the scale.  I know I do.  I can remember the events of my life by how much I weighted at the time, down to the pound, I don’t round off.  I weighed 164 pounds when I got pregnant with my daughter.  I weighted 126 pounds when I was in 6th grade.  I weighed 172.5 when I went on the cruise to Hawaii.  My life is remembered in weights.  That is crazy.  I was so reoccupied with my weight that I hardly remember the events.  In 2001, when I lost over 170 pounds I never felt like I really “made it” because I never reached my “goal weight” - the magic number.  Losing over 170 pounds wasn’t enough - getting to some number that represented ‘thin” was all that mattered to me.  Because I never reached it, it felt like failure.  I know that is crazy, but that’s what happens - I was so attached to a certain number representing thin for me.  

Think about why you are weighing yourself.  Answer the questions above and see if you can stop.  Put the scale away.  Seriously, ask someone to hide it in the garage or basement, or take it to a friends house.  This process of healing is about re-connecting with our bodies and the innate wisdom we all possess.  There are so many other markers for losing weight. How do your clothes fit.  Is it easier to tie your shoes. Can you move differently. Start paying attention to the ways your body feels different.  A number on a scale means nothing.  How you feel in your body means everything!


Try something new.  Stop weighing yourself!!  

No comments:

Post a Comment